Eating well is important for all ages, but especially for older individuals who need to maintain their strength and energy, while often managing chronic diseases like diabetes and high blood pressure. Because calorie needs decrease with age, but nutrient needs remain the same or even increase, it’s essential that seniors pack as much nutrition into each meal as possible. Planning quick and nutritious meals that are high in protein, vitamins, and minerals can make healthy eating easy.
Brought to you by our nutritionist- Karen Seymore!
- Banana Split Oatmeal
Here’s an excellent way to start your day. The preparation time is about 10 minutes, 1 serving only.
- 1⁄3 cup oatmeal, quick-cooking (dry)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cups water (very hot)
- 1⁄2 banana (sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen yogurt (non-fat)
- Mix together the oatmeal and salt in a microwave safe cereal bowl, and stir in water.
- Microwave on high power for 1 minute, then stir again.
- Repeat the process several times until the cereal reaches the desired thickness, then stir again.
- Top with banana slices and frozen yogurt.
- Breakfast Frittata
This rich breakfast will get the ball rolling.
- 1/2 medium onion (minced),
- 4 medium cloves garlic (chopped),
- 1/4 lb. ground lamb or turkey,
- 1 + 2 TBS chicken broth,
- 3 cups rinsed and finely chopped kale (stems removed),
- 5 omega-3 enriched eggs,
- salt and black pepper
- Mince onion and chop garlic and let them sit for 5 minutes to enhance the taste and their health-promoting benefits.
- Preheat broiler on low. Heat 1 TBS broth in a 9-10-inch stainless steel skillet.
- Sauté onion over medium heat, for about 3 minutes, then add garlic, ground lamb or turkey, and cook for another 3 minutes on medium heat while stirring and breaking up clumps.
- Add kale and 2 TBS broth and reduce heat to low. Continue to cook covered for about 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Season the eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper and pour on top of the mixture evenly.
- Cook on low heat for another 2 minutes without stirring, then place the skillet under the broiler in middle of the oven so it will cook without the top burning.
- Greek Yogurt Parfait
For this extra delicious breakfast, the following ingredients are enough for 4 servings.
- 3 cups plain fat-free Greek-style yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 28 clementine segments
- 1/4 cup shelled, unsalted dry-roasted chopped pistachios
- Mix yogurt and vanilla in a bowl.
- Spoon 1/3 cup yogurt mixture into each of 4 small parfait glasses, top each with 1/2 teaspoon honey, 5 clementine sections, and 1/2 tablespoon nuts.
- Top parfaits with the remaining yogurt mixture (about 1/3 cup each) and top each with 1/2 teaspoon honey, 2 clementine segments, and 1/2 tablespoon nuts.
Do you have a healthy breakfast recipe to share, that is a personal favorite? We’d love to see your recipes in the comments below.